by Denise Nanni and Milena Rampoldi, ProMosaik. In the following our interview with Eliza of the organization Mando Maasai, founded by Michael Ole Sayo to empower Maasai communities.
What are the main activities you carry out to promote women’s empowerment?
-discouraging the practice of female genital mutilation and early marriage
-building and running a safe house for girls threatened by FGM so they can continue their education
-informing about birth control
-providing micro-loans for women to run entrepreneurial income generating businesses
training women farmers
• providing lunches at schools where children would otherwise have to go hungry
• constructing schools and classrooms in villages, repairing existing schools with paint walls, windows, floors, desks and chalkboards
• providing books and school supplies
• increasing access to learning opportunities – youth camp, football clubs
• establishing school management committees, supporting teachers, instructional sessions for parents
Do you cooperate with local authorities and institutions? If yes, how?
• working with head teachers, school boards and officials to adhere to requirements and try to obtain improvements in our schools
• obtaining all permits needed to build, run and maintain micro-grids for electricity and drill badly needed wells