https://promosaik.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/190.jpg 480 640 promosaik https://promosaik.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Promosaik_brandwordmark.png promosaik2017-05-13 11:25:052017-05-13 11:25:05El Shaddai in Goa, India – struggle against child labour
By Milena Rampoldi and Denise Nanni, ProMosaik. In the following my interview with the organisation El Shaddai working for Street Children in the State of Goa in India. For ProMosaik children are the future of the world, and children are children, having the right to live a life in dignity. As society are a obliged to guarantee this, everywhere on this planet. Would like to thank Julia for her answers to our questions, and for the photos she sent us.
What are the main activities of El Shaddai?
The main activities of El Shaddai are to open homes, Day Care Shelter and Community Centre for the children
in need of care and protection, Underprivileged, orphans, children leaving on street and slum and children from commercial sex workers.
We also provide children/women with vocational training, adult literacy, slum school and recreational activities.
We provide children basic necessities that is food, clothing, shelter, education, medication, counselling, community sponsorship.
How do you identify children that could benefit from your projects?
– Through outreach work – our staff goes to the field where vulnerable children are given an opportunity to communicate them and build a relationship.
– Through parent’s or guardian’s reference – (when Parent’s come for the purpose of admission)
Same is followed by a home study report by visiting their homes and check if the child is in real need.
What is the current situation related to child labour and how do you address this issue?
In Goa, mostly people from other states are migrated for work purpose, so they force their children to sell things on the beach, railway station, rag picking, working in restaurant or hotels or shops as helper.
– We address these issues by talking to the owners, parents and the children – making them aware about the child labour and importance of education.
How do you promote the social rehabilitation of street children?
We do this by:
1. Meeting them individually and sharing the background of work we do and how we can help them.
2. Following up with them on regular basis and encouraging them to learn to read and write with non formal education.
3. Enlightening them on the importance of the education and the safety und above all by
4. Making them feel safe and secure.